Sunday, October 14, 2012

New every morning


     I suppose I have difficulty learning quickly. Our towering oak tree has a branch that reaches down to about five feet above the ground, eye level with me. You guessed it; I get a slap on the face from that branch every morning! Every morning it startles me, whacking me into action of reproaching myself for not paying attention AGAIN!

     I think I found a woman in the Bible who probably didn't have an oak tree in her front yard, but had a similar experience, with much more spiritual meaning: the Shunnamite woman in 2 Kings 4. Go ahead and read it. It'll be worth the time.

     Again, I think my walking into my majestic oak tree parallels with the experience this hospitable lady encountered every morning. Maybe God's new compassions every morning startled her as she woke up each morning to the remembrance of God's provision. I know that God's love slaps me into perspective.

     Ya know what you used to do in sixth grade to your best friend, when you would slap 'em on the forehead and tease, "Shoulda had a v8!" Well, I have had to do that to myself saying, "Shoulda trusted God!" or "Shoulda kept your mouth shut!" (Just thought I'd put that in there:) See, we can trust God because He loves us and He cares for us and therefore provides for us. And, oh man, God sure knows how to provide for us!

     "Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows."
~Matt. 29-31

No comments: