Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Tenth Day of Christmas: The Christmas Carol

I was sitting there in the third pew from the back. The Christmas program was beautiful. Next up were the Patch kids. I knew that they were very rambunctious from past experiences. They scrambled up onto the stage, in a loose single-file line. The lines were said and acted, and the song began to play. The kids started singing. Well, I was surprised at how loud seven kids could be! {Of course, one in particular belted out the words the best he could.} The first verse rolled along quite quickly, and the kids invaded on the chorus.

"LOVE REACHED DOWN TO ME!!!"

My mind started racing. What? I had heard many patch the pirate songs before, but this one struck me in the heart. Do those kids even know what love is? Here it came again:

"LOVE REACHED DOWN TO ME!!!"

They didn't write that song; I thought. Ron Hamilton did. And I'm sure he understands what love is. But, these kids???

And again,

''LOVE REACHED DOWN TO ME!!!''

But they seem so persuaded of it... And then a cracked note interrupted my thoughts. I smiled remembering being up there myself.

Next, my friend sang a solo. If you've never heard "A Breath of Heaven," you should find it and listen to it. Her voice, void of background soundtrack due to technical difficulties, attracted my mind. I listened to the lyrics... describing how Mary may have felt... wow. I don't think I ever realized how much her and I have in common. But then again, she was favored of God. I didn't think that I was as special as she.

The pastor started his message. About the Christmas story, of course. But not in Luke 2. In Luke 1. Luke 1 is like the prequel. About what happened during those nine months that Mary was pregnant. You know what? She praised God for His goodness and mercy. But then again, she was favored of God.

After the message, we sang a Christmas carol out of the thick maroon hymnals that had the word "Majesty" printed on them in gold letters.

"Hark, the herald angels sing
Glory to the newborn King!
Peace on earth, and mercy mild
God and sinners reconciled!
Joyful, all ye nations rise!
Join the triumph of the skies!
With th'angelic host proclaim
Christ is born in Bethlehem!

Hark! the herald angels sing
Glory to the newborn King.

Well, sounds familiar, right?

Christ, by highest heaven adored;
Christ, the everlasting Lord;
Late in time behold him come,
Offspring of the Virgin's womb.
Veiled in flesh the Godhead see;
Hail the incarnate Deity,
Pleased as man with man to dwell;
Jesus, our Emmanuel.

Hark, the herald angels sing
Glory to the newborn King.

Mild he lays his glory by,
Born that man no more may die,
Born to raise the sons of earth,
Born to give them second birth.
Risen with healing in his wings,
Light and life to all he brings,
Hail, the Sun of Righteousness
Hail, the heaven-born Prince of Peace.

Hark the herald angels sing
Glory to the newborn King.

Come, Desire of nations come,
Fix in us Thy humble home;
Rise, the Woman's conquering Seed,
Bruise in us the Serpent's head.
Adam's likeness now efface:
Stamp Thine image in its place;
Second Adam, from above,
Reinstate us in thy love.

Hark the herald angels sing
Glory to the newborn King.
{~Charles Wesley}

If you just skimmed through those lyrics, read over them slowly and carefully; the words are powerful! And so they were while I stood there singing. What a message I was receiving! At this point, I felt like belting out the words like that one particular kid in the patch group. Only the song was over, and I may have sounded crazy with my mix of sobs, bad key, and loud voice. :-)

No comments: